The new website, Seeing Beyond Catastrophe (beyondcatastrophe.com), is holding a competition for a logo! We are calling for young people (up to and including 30 years old) living in the Aral Sea Region (Karakalpakstan, Khorezm in UZ and Qizilorda and Aktobe Oblasts in KZ) to design a logo for the website and all future projects connected to it.
Our vision is to collect and share projects, stories, art, and resources that attempt to see beyond catastrophe and creatively imagine alternative futures in the Aral Sea region. We present diverse viewpoints and ideas that keep four major themes or pillars in mind: Home, History, Connection, and Imaginings.
First: 300,000 Uzbek Som, large USA prize pack, and name, photo and short bio on the “About” page of the website
Second: 200,000 Som and small USA prize pack
Third: 100,000 Som
All participants will receive a certificate and will have their name, photo, short bio and design included in a story on the website.
- All work should be your own. You can work in pairs if you want – although if you win you will have to share the prize.
- Please read the “About” page of the website and reflect the spirit of the website in your design (https://www.beyondcatastrophe.com/about/).
- Designs may not include images of abandoned/rusted boats or outline of Aral Sea (in any year).
- Designs should work at small scale (e.g. Instagram logo) or large scale (e.g. banner for events). You can, if you wish, create two different alterations, one for large scale use and one for small scale use.
- Creativity in design and medium are encouraged!
Please send the following materials to email@example.com by Friday, December 17 at 23:59.
- High resolution image
- Short description (100-200 words) of your design and why you think it is a good fit for our website. You may write in English, Russian, Uzbek or Karakalpak.
- Short bio of yourself (50-100 words)
- Recent photo of yourself (optional)
- In the e-mail message, please include: your name, place of residence and contact information (phone numbers, e-mail address if you use one, Instagram account)
The designs will be reviewed by the Beyond Catastrophe team: Kate, Saxon, Nico and Nora (see https://www.beyondcatastrophe.com/about/ for their bios). They will select the winners by 31 December 2021 based on the following criteria:
- The design can be digital or not
- The design reflects the mission and values of the Seeing Beyond Catastrophe project
- The design is original, meaning that not one single component of the design is copied from another source (plagiarized)
- The design is attractive, it captures our attention
- The design looks good in thumbnail and very large formats
The winners will be contacted and announced on the website between 15 and 31 December 2021.
The Beyond Catastrophe team reserves the right to make small changes to the selected design to improve legibility, printability and resolution quality.
The Beyond Catastrophe team reserves the right to use all artworks sent for the competition for future projects. The designer will always be credited.